Innovate in multidisciplinary teams to kick-start new dementia research
- 4 online cohort analysis workshops
- Expert introduction to selected cohorts by cohort PIs
- For specialists in statistical analysis or machine learning methods
- Support and guidance during offline periods
- Free to attend, once application approved
- 16-27 November 2020, online
Why should I join?
Clinical trials for dementia are moving to intervene at a much earlier stage in the disease progression – before the onset of dementia itself. As the amount of data that we have available to us increases rapidly, it is becoming vital to innovate in order to make sense of it and gain new insights.
At the virtual DPUK datathon, you will work online in teams in the DPUK Data Portal. You will experiment with different methodologies to predict dementia risk and likelihood of conversion from mild cognitive impairment to dementia. Research questions will centre around longitudinal modelling of disease and cognitive change. We will be working with data from these cohorts at the virtual DPUK datathon.
Successful applicants may have a dementia or data science specialism, experience in machine learning or experience in applied classical statistics. Participants will be carefully selected to ensure a complementary interdisciplinary mix of skills.
You will be part of an interdisciplinary research collaboration. Teams will receive ongoing support via DPUK Reach to develop their ideas into full study proposals and published research during and after the virtual DPUK datathon.
DPUK's Senior Data and Science Manager, Dr Sarah Bauermeister, will lead the virtual DPUK datathon
How can I apply?
Applications for our November datathon have now closed. However, please follow the link below to sign up and be the first to know about future events.
- Data scientists with some experience of working with complex data.
- Experience of statistical techniques.
- Experience of working in dementia or health research will be useful, but is not essential.
- University or industry-based.
UK and further afield.
- The virtual DPUK datathon takes place online, with one full-day and four half-day workshops (plus a technical induction and presentation session) during the period 16-27 November 2020. If you can't make these dates, register to find out about future DPUK datathons.
- Additional time will need to be put aside for collaborative work on data analysis projects.
- The deadline for applications is Friday 23 October, 9am UK time.
- The virtual DPUK datathon is supported by Alzheimer's Research UK and the DEMON Network.
- Places are selective and strictly limited.
- Attendance is free.