WHAT ARE DATATHONS?
At DPUK Datathons, researchers work in multidisciplinary teams to generate valuable new findings in dementia research. Our Datathons are taking place virtually at the moment.
You will use cohort data in the DPUK Data Portal to explore a particular research question relating to dementia risk and progression. Our last event addressed the comorbidities of cognitive decline (including cardiovascular disease).
Datathons are ideal for early-career researchers who specialise in statistical analysis or machine learning methods. They are led by DPUK's Senior Data and Science Manager, Dr Sarah Bauermeister.
The events include:
- Expert introduction to selected population cohorts
- Guided cohort analysis workshops
- Support and guidance during offline periods
- Potential for studies to develop into publications
Datathons cost £100 to attend. Around 15-30 hours of additional work beyond the formal workshops will be required for research and collaboration.
Find out what a previous participant has to say about taking part in a DPUK Datathon.
DATATHON ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
- Data scientists with some experience of working with complex data
- Experience of statistical techniques
- Experience of working in dementia or health research will be useful, but is not essential
- University or industry-based
- UK and further afield
JOIN A DPUK DATATHON
We anticipate holding another Datathon in the first half of 2023.
Sign up to receive key updates about future Datathons and Academy events.