3-day datathon – how it works
Get introduced to the data. DPUK's cohort data is cleaned but still highly complex. Our subject experts will introduce you to the cohort datasets you'll be working with and their nuances.
You'll be working in the Data Portal's virtual desktop for the duration of the datathon. Get set up and logged in. You might want to download particular software to your instance of the virtual desktop. The DPUK technical team will show you what's possible and be on hand with any help you need.
Form a team
We'll encourage you to form groups with participants from different backgrounds. That way you'll benefit from methods and approaches you might not have used before.
Get stuck in
Our subject experts will introduce you to key challenges in dementia research. What are the early signs? How do blood protein variables interact? Then it's up to you and your team to consider how you'll use the data to work on these questions.
New dates for 2020 will be published here soon.
Don't miss out
Be among the first to know when applications for future DPUK datathons open.
What can I expect at the end?
By the end of the three-day event, you can expect to have broken the back of an innovative analysis which you conceive of and develop in your team. You'll be in a great position to take successful ideas forward to publication stage. Whether or not you wish to develop your work from the datathon, you'll have gained valuable multi-modal analysis experience working in the Data Portal.
- Data scientists with some experience working with complex data.
- University or industry-based.
- UK and further afield. Please note that attendees must fund their own travel and accommodation costs.
- Three day intensive workshop format.
- Attendance is free for successful applicants.
- Places are selective and strictly limited.
- Datathons are co-led by a scientist and technical expert.